Sunday, October 27, 2019

Purple Wildflowers ๐ŸŽ• Northern California

๐Ÿ’œ Purple is my signature color, so I'm extra excited about picking out my favorite purple wildflowers for today's post!


Imagine my delight when we saw thousands of pretty Penstemons while hiking all throughout Lassen Volcanic National Park this summer! There are dozens of different species, but I'm almost positive these are Slender Penstemons (Penstemon gracilentus).


One of my absolute favorite flowers is Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum). They have the most beautiful purple blooms along with contrasting spikes that make this one fierce flower. They grow all around the wildlife refuges here in the central valley.


I'm pretty sure this Vervain is the Brazilian variety (Verbena brasiliensis) and I saw it growing at the Gray Lodge Wildlife Area. Why are most my favorite flowers considered invasive weeds???


And, last but not least, Downingia, the carpet of purple calico flowers that sprang up during the super-bloom at the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge.


What is your favorite super-bloom flower? Poppies perhaps?



No comments:

Post a Comment