Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Indian Paintbrush ๐ŸŽ• Lassen Volcanic National Park ๐ŸŽ• Northern California Wildflowers

brokeoff mountain hiking trail

There are several different variations of Indian Paintbrush that grow in Lassen Volcanic National Park, but I'm pretty sure this is the wavy-leaved type. Identifying wildflowers can be quite the challenge and I'm finding it to be very time-consuming, too. But, I'm enjoying learning the names of the pretty blooms I see when we're hiking. It's always nice to put a name to a face.

We spotted this little firecracker blooming all along the side of the mountain when we hiked to the top of Brokeoff Mountain in late August. Castilleja is also known as prairie-fire, an appropriate name in my opinion.

Can you spot the tiny little spider on the right of the flower? Nature's pretty incredible, isn't it?





No comments:

Post a Comment