Sunday, November 17, 2019

Orange Wildflowers ๐ŸŽ• Northern California

It's time to celebrate some of the beautiful orange wildflowers I've spotted growing around northern California!


First off, is the Western Wallflower (Erysimum capitatum) growing in Lassen VNP. We spotted this particular flower along the side of the road through the park in Mid-June, but we also saw several when we hiked to Ridge Lakes in early-August, too.


The next orange wildflower should get an award for most adorableness and greatest name. I present to you the Menzies' Fiddleneck (Amsinckia menziesii) we saw on the Logan Creek trail of the Sacramento NWR in late-March. I told you it was cute!

logan creek trail

This Sulphur-flower Wild Buckwheat (Eriogonum umbellatum) is technically considered a yellow flower, but this one looks pretty orange to me and I'm including it because of its incredible location. We spotted this one on the trail up Brokeoff Mountain. (Lassen VNP, Late-August)

brokeoff mountain hiking trail

And finally, I don't think I could consider myself a true Californian if I didn't include Poppies (Eschscholzia californica) in today's post. No, these aren't from the super-bloom in Southern California, they're a humble little cluster growing at the Colusa National Wildlife Refuge in late-April.


What is your state flower? Do you love it or do you wish it was something else? (๐Ÿคฃ Bonus points if I just made you look up your state flower!!!)




No comments:

Post a Comment